Saturday 5 February 2011

Coming Together

Throughout today I have seen these theories that we observed this morning coming as we have observed how other's view our major. Through the ideas of critical literacy, looking for the meaning between the obvious I have been challenged to think about why my major is stereotyped like it is. The themes that have emerged through my peers thoughts and the media's impressions are sometimes even offensive as they seem to undermine the skill set that I feel I am obtaining studying interior design. Challenging myself to consider why when I search for interior designer, on the first page there is only one picture of a human and she is a blonde female. I really do feel like the interior design industry is in a place of change and the rest of the world is uneducated of the shift from decorator to designer. Being aware of feminism and the ideas of gender equality when observing interior designers, you find that there is definitely a stereo type. Constructivism, learning theory, was helpful to think about as I observed that everyone else's view of interior design has developed through their experience. Through my studies and personal experience my view has developed to be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment